Sooner or later, due to the harsh conditions faced by marine construction structures, you will need somebody to help you repair your dock or control shoreline erosion, if you are living on a waterfront. The services of a marine contractor are a big help for home and business owners since they lessen the hassle and the cost of doing everything on your own. Being knowledgeable of what these contractors do, how can they help you, and other matters related to marine services is one way you can distinguish if you’ve found the right partner for you. So, before you choose your provider, make sure to read this supporting information.
Video from WFTV 9
Unlike inland construction, marine construction is more specialized. It deals with buildings and structures near marine coastal areas and freshwater. Marine contractors help with erosion control projects such as groins, breakwaters, and bulkheads. They also contribute to navigation projects such as marina basins, cribs, and docks. They use specialized equipment like pumps and tugs to do the construction.
The terms may sound complicated to a normal person but considering all this stuff, you will surely be required to do the work with licensed marine construction contractors because of the professionalism needed to complete the projects. It’s vital to choose licensed contractors because they are more competent and they follow the proper process. Compared to contractors who have no license and permit to build projects, working with licensed ones will set your mind at peace knowing that you can avoid most of the common problems in marine construction like incomplete and defective projects.
What are the common problems with marine construction?
When you are working with marine contractors, you will face inevitable challenges especially if you chose to settle with less capable contractors. This is when choosing the right company for you comes in. Having a licensed marine contractor at your side will reduce the probability of incomplete and defective projects which are the common problems when you work with unlicensed ones. To give you a short overview, here are what you are likely to encounter when you work with unlicensed marine contractors:
1) Incomplete projects – this is very common. Many homeowners are claiming that there are some contractors who leave a thousand-dollar mess after being contracted to build docks. Why does this happen? To simply put the equation, some contractors feel that they have the freedom to leave the project incomplete after receiving a considerable amount of money for the project. They would say a lot of sweet words to you just to get your payment. This will likely happen to you if you will choose an unlicensed contractor to work with.
2) Defective projects – another mess being left behind by unlicensed contractor are defective projects. Let’s say the project is completed according to the timeline in the contract. The project will look like reliable until something happens to your home and you find out that the quality of materials used was poor and the project wasn’t done correctly. Some contractors work really slow during the first steps of the process then rush when the time is almost over. This is one reason why projects get defective. Unlicensed contractors tend to hurry when they know they cannot be on time with the project.
Approvals with local authorities
Another challenge you will have to face in marine construction is the approval of the project. This to me, seems like one of the main reasons to work with a good provide. They will usually take care of approvals for you and keep you informed of the process. Unlicensed marine contractors may say that they will help with the paperwork but you never know. Licensed marine contractors and professional dock repair professionals can help you with the process of the project approval. They work with the local authorities to give you a peace of mind. However, the approvals and legal requirements depend on state where you live. Every city has different requirements so it is best that you discuss this with your licensed contractor during the contract signing.
Licensed marine construction contractors will help you solve your biggest problem as a homeowner. You need to settle your mind and choose the professionals ones only if you don’t want to deal with the mess later on. Choosing the right contractor for you is an essential part of the process. Take a good look at our Waterfront Construction directory and pick a contractor in your area.
- Top Four Toronto Waterfront Condos for Investment - January 24, 2021
- A good construction attorney can save you a lot of money and headache - December 14, 2020
- Construction law: hurricane incidents acts of God when it comes to dock repairs? - November 21, 2020